Week 3 Tuesday Round of 16 games preview
MIES (Switzerland) - The Basketball Champions League Round of 16 continues with four games on February 8 that features three teams looking to get into the win column and two other teams who are looking to remain undefeated.
Here's a look at the four games scheduled for Tuesday:
Game 1: Prometey (0-0) vs. Unicaja (1-1) - Group K
Where: Zaporizhzhya, Ukraine
When: 19:00 CET
Points per game: D'Angelo Harrison 15.0
Rebounds per game: D.J. Kennedy 7.1
Assists per game: Chris Dowe 3.7
Steals per game: D.J. Kennedy 1.1
Blocks per game: Miro Bilan 0.9
View this post on Instagram
- Prometey is the first Ukrainian team to reach the Round of 16 in a BCL season.
Prometey have won their last two home games in the BCL after losing their first two; they scored 80+ points in each of their two home wins but 70 points or fewer in their two home defeats.
- D.J. Kennedy has had three games with 15+ points, 5+ rebounds and 5+ assists, the most of any player in the BCL this season.
- D'Angelo Harrison has scored 10+ points in his last seven BCL games, tied for his longest streak in the competition; however, five of the six games where he didn’t manage to score in double figures came at home.
- Harrison swiped four steals in Game 3 of the Play-In series against Hapoel Bank Yahav Jerusalem; before that, he only had three total steals in his previous eight appearances with Prometey in the BCL this season.
Points per game: Dario Brizuela 11.8
Rebounds per game: Michael Eric 6.1
Assists per game: Jaime Fernandez 4.5
Steals per game: Jaime Fernandez 1.4
Blocks per game: Dejan Kravic 3.0
Unicaja have lost their last two away games in the BCL after winning their previous game on the road in the competition; their three games away from home have ended with a differential of 10 or more points.
Unicaja have allowed their opponents to make (4.6) and attempt (17.6) the fewest three-pointers per game in the BCL this season; however, no team has faced more two-point shots than Unicaja this season (41.3 per game).
Dario Brizuela has almost scored as many points this season in eight BCL games (94) as he had in his previous BCL season, scoring 95 points in 14 games with Estudiantes in 2017-18; he has scored 15+ points in each of his last two away games after never scoring more than 10 points in any of his previous eight games on the road in the competition.
Game 2: Falco Szombathely (0-2) vs. SIG Strasbourg (1-1) - Group L
Where: Szombathely, Hungary
When: 18:00 CET
Points per game: Zoltan Perl 15.7
Rebounds per game: Akos Keller 7.8
Assists per game: Benedek Varadi 7.6
Steals per game: Szilard Benke 1.9
Blocks per game: Gyorgy Goloman 1.1
Szombathely have lost their last two games in the BCL but have lost three in a row only once before, it was in January 2020; they won their only previous home game played against a French team, a narrow victory 82-81 against JDA Dijon in December 2019.
Szombathely are making on average 22.9 two-pointers per game in the BCL this season, more than anyother team, they are also scoring on average the most points in the paint per game (39.5).
Zoltan Perl has scored 10+ points in his last 12 games where he started on the bench in the BCL and couldequal the longest such run in the competition established by Dusan Sakota between 2016 and 2017 (13games).
Points per game: John Roberson 17.4
Rebounds per game: Ike Udanoh 5.7
Assists per game: John Roberson 4.4
Steals per game: DeAndre Lansdowne 1.2
Blocks per game: Matt Mitchell, Ike Udanoh, Yannis Morin 0.4
View this post on Instagram
Strasbourg have won their last three road games in the BCL, their longest winning streak away from home in the competition; since the beginning of last season, they have won their five away games where they were leading at halftime.
Kameron Taylor has scored 10+ points in each of his last four BCL games, as many times as in his first nine games in the competition; he had his most points in the BCL during his last away game, 19 against Peristeri with Brose Bamberg in January 2020.
Game 3: Nutribullet Treviso (0-1) vs. Tofas Bursa (2-0) - Group J
Where: Treviso, Italy
When: 20:30 CET
Points per game: Tomas Dimsa, Henry Sims 15.1
Rebounds per game: Aaron Jones 8.1
Assists per game: DeWayne Russell 5.1
Steals per game: DeWayne Russell 1.2
Blocks per game: Henry Sims 1.9
View this post on Instagram
Treviso are undefeated at home in the BCL, winning their four games by an average of 10.3 points; they will try to become the third Italian team to have won their first five games at home in the competition, after Umana Reyer Venezia (W11) and Virtus Bologna (W5).
- Michal Sokolowski has scored 14+ points in each of his last two BCL games but has never had a longer such streak in his previous 44 appearances; Sokolowski has scored 4+ shots from behind the arc in each of his last two BCL games, after doing it so just once in his previous 44 appearances – he has made 60% of his attempted three-pointers in those two encounters (9/15).
Points per game: Pako Cruz 16.1
Rebounds per game: Jeremy Simmons 5.3
Assists per game: Berk Ugurlu 4.5
Steals per game: Berk Ugurlu 1.4
Blocks per game: Jeremy Simmons 1.0
- Tofas have won their last four playoff games in the BCL after losing the previous four; their last two defeats at that stage came against a team from Italy though, Happy Casa Brindisi in March 2021.
- Tofas are scoring 22.4 points from turnover per game this season in the BCL, more than any other team; they have scored 20+ points from turnover in each of their last six games in the competition after reaching that mark in only four of their previous 14 games.
- Tomislav Zubcic has scored 18 points per game in his last seven games on the road in the BCL, scoring 3+ three-pointers in four of those seven appearances.
Game 4: Lenovo Tenerife (2-0) vs. Rytas Vilnius (1-1) - Group L
Where: San Cristobal de La Laguna, Spain
When: 19:30 CET
Tenerife (14.5) and Rytas (15.1) are the two teams still competing in the BCL this season that allow the fewest assists per game from their opponents.
Points per game: Giorgi Shermadini 15.4
Rebounds per game: Giorgi Shermadini 7.0
Assists per game: Marcelinho Huertas 6.6
Steals per game: Aaron Doornekamp 1.3
Blocks per game: Giorgi Shermadini 1.0
Tenerife have won 21 of their last 23 home games in the BCL, losing the only two games in which they have conceded more than 85 points.
- Giorgi Shermadini has scored 10+ points in each of his last 17 games in the BCL, only DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell (20 games) and D.J. Kennedy (18 games) have had longer such runs in the competition.
Points per game: Ivan Buva 17.1
Rebounds per game: Gytis Radzevicius 6.9
Assists per game: Speedy Smith 5.1
Steals per game: Arnas Butkevicius 2.1
Blocks per game: Arnas Butkevicius 0.6
- Rytas have won just two of their six away games in the BCL, but their most recent win on the road happened in their sole trip to Spain (84-77 at Hereda San Pablo Burgos); five of Rytas' six games away from home have ended with a margin of seven or fewer points.
- Ivan Buva scored 20 points in each of his last two games in the BCL, his first run with 20+ points scored in the competition; he scored 16 points, grabbed eight rebounds and had three steals in his previous away game at Tenerife in the BCL, in November 2019 with Gaziantep.