Strasbourg are kings of overtime: Five things we learned on opening night
MIES (Switzerland) - Season 8 of the Basketball Champions League kicked off on Tuesday with seven games, headlined by an overtime thriller that saw SIG Strasbourg defeat EWE Baskets Oldenburg 85-83 on the road.
Here's a look at the standout stats of the day:
- Strasbourg played their 11th overtime game in the BCL, at least four more than any other team in the history of the competition; they have now won each of their last eight BCL games that went to overtime.
"We played a solid game during 35 minutes, we were really in the gameplan," said Strasbourg's Paul Lacombe.
"And in the last five minutes, we let them drive, drive, drive, but we got to overtime, and we succeeded to win this game. You never know what will happen later [in the season] but it can be really important for the next chapter of the BCL."
The last time Strasbourg lost an overtime game in the BCL was almost exactly six years ago, on October 18, 2023, when they fell 82-80 to medi Bayreuth.
They went on to defeat Neptunas Klaipeda in February 2019, and from 2021 onwards they have played two overtime games per season, prevailing against Filou Oostende, VEF RIga, Lenovo Tenerife, Falco Szombathely, Tofas Bursa and Hapoel Holon. In other words, i you've played in the BCL, chances are you lost an overtime game to SIG.
- AEK Betsson BC only made two shots from behind the arc against MHP RIESEN Ludwigsburg, tied for the fewest by the Greek club in a BCL game (also two made three-pointers v Telenet Giants Antwerp in October 2019). However, AEK won both games in which they converted two or fewer three-pointers.
- MHP RIESEN grabbed 22 offensive rebounds in Tuesday's game, the most by any team in a BCL game since October 2022 when RIESEN themselves tallied 23 offensive boards against Bakken Bears. The German side now have 20 or more offensive rebounds in four different games, more than any team in BCL history.
- Le Mans Sarthe Basket (96-68 v Peristeri bwin) registered their biggest win (+28) and their most points scored in a BCL game. On the other hand, this was Peristeri's heaviest defeat in the competition.
- Pinar Karsiyaka scored 94 points against Filou Oostende, the most for them in a BCL game since April 2021 when they scored 107 points against Happy Casa Brindisi. This was also Karsiyaka's biggest home win since that game against Brindisi.