31 things to look out for in Tuesday's games
MIES (Switzerland) - The Round of 16 tips off Tuesday with a five-game slate, signaling the start of the business end of the competition as 16 teams will jostle for a top-two spot in their respective groups.
Here are 31 things you need to know ahead of the five Tuesday games:
Group K - 18:30 CET - Izmir, Turkiye
Giorgi Shermadini is very close to reaching two big milestones in his BCL career
● Tenerife have added sharp-shooting guard Kyle Guy, who had started the season at Panathinaikos, and Spanish center Ilimane Diop, who had started the season at Filou Oostende, averaging 6.4 points and 4.6 rebounds in seven BCL games.
● Karsiyaka and Tenerife have faced each other three times previously. All three games were during the 2021-22 Play-Ins and Tenerife prevailed 2-1 as every game in that series was won by the home team.
● Karsiyaka are 5-0 in their five home games in the BCL this season and scored 85 or more points in each one of those five games. The Turkish team have a 4-1 record in the five games they have played at home in the Round of 16 stage of the BCL.
● Karsiyaka made 10 or more three-pointers in six of their nine games so far this BCL season, including each of their last four home games. Despite being so early in the season, this is already a club record for most games with 10+ made three-pointers in all these years that Karsiyaka have been playing in the BCL.
● Tenerife have a 2-5 record in their last seven games on the road in the BCL, but were victorious in their most recent road game (91-85 at Cholet). Tenerife’s last six road games were decided by margins of six or fewer points.
● Karsiyaka's Darrun Hilliard scored 10 or more points in each of his last four BCL games. By comparison, he had scored in double digits in two of his previous five appearances. One thing that remains constant with Hilliard is that he's made 2 or more three-pointers in each of his nine BCL games.
● Tenerife's Giorgi Shermadini is 5 points away from becoming the second player to reach 1,000 career points in the BCL. The Georgian center currently has 995 BCL career points, while Cholet's Vojtech Hruban is in first place with 1,045. Shermadini is also 1 rebound shy of overcoming Miro Bilan for second spot on the all-time rebounders list. He and Bilan currently have 382 rebounds each, while his teammate on Tenerife Tim Abromaitis is top of the all-time list with 423 BCL career rebounds.
Group L - 18:30 CET - Patras, Greece
Never say never- Jordan Morgan is back in the BCL, after joining AEK earlier this month
● Promitheas have signed point guard George Papas, who started the season at Olympiacos Piraeus. AEK have signed Austin Hollins, who played for Zalgiris Kaunas at the start of the season, as well as Brandon Knight, Jordan Morgan and Greek international Dimitris Agravanis. Mindaugas Kuzminskas remains sidelined due to injury and Mfiondu Kabengele parted ways with the club.
● If Promitheas win on Tuesday they will tie their longest-ever winning streak in the BCL, four games in a row, a feat they had achieved in October 2018. Promitheas are 6-2 in their last eight home games in the BCL, with five of those wins by margins of 12 or more points.
● AEK are one win away from becoming only the second club in BCL history to reach 75 victories in the competition. Lenovo Tenerife are leading the way, with 97 wins going into Tuesday's games.
● AEK are 5-1 in their six games so far this BCL season but lost the most recent one, 83-79 at MHP RIESEN Ludwigsburg. January is generally a good month for AEK in the BCL, as they have a 5-2 historical record in their previous seven seasons, with four of those wins coming on the road.
● Promitheas and AEK are the only two teams in this season's BCL to hold opponents below 40 percent shooting from the floor. Promitheas' opponents have a field goal percentage of only 39.7 percent while AEK's defense holds opponents to a field goal percentage of 39.9 percent.
● Promitheas are 3-0 in the three BCL games in which Anthony Cowan was in the starting lineup, while they are 2-2 in the four games in which he came off the bench. Cowan averaged 20.3 points and 8.0 assists per game in his three games as a starter.
● AEK's second unit has made big contributions offensively so far this year, with AEK scoring more than 40 bench points in each of their last three BCL games.
Group J - 20:00 CET - Bonn, Germany
Galatasaray have been unbeaten in the BCL since signing Klemen Prepelic, can this impressive streak continue?
● Bonn have alternated between wins and defeats in their last six home games in the BCL, losing the most recent one (92-82 to Bursaspor). The German team had a perfect 6-0 record in last season's Round of 16, scoring 85+ points in each of the last five games. Bonn went on of course to lift the BCL trophy last May.
● Galatasaray's current 4-game winning streak is their longest ever in since they started competing in the BCL. Furthermore, they won their last three road games in a row, when they had never previously won back-to-back games on the road in the BCL.
● Is this game a case of an irresistible force meeting an immovable object? Bonn are leading the BCL this season in two-field goal percentage, as they convert 59.1 percent of their two-point shots. However, Galatasaray have the best defense inside the arc, holding opponents to just 45.2 percent shooting from two-point range.
● Bonn's Christian Sengfelder is enjoying the best-ever scoring run of his BCL career, as he scored 12 or more points in each of his last three games, for the first time since he has been playing in the competition. Sengfelder made 2 or more three-pointers in each of his last three BCL games, something he had done in three of his previous 10 league games.
● Galatasary have been undefeated (4-0) in the BCL since Klemen Prepelic joined the team, with the Slovenian international averaging 17.8 points and 7.5 assists, on 3 made three-pointers per game.
Group J - 20:00 CET - Dijon, France
Dijon leader David Holston is nearing 900 BCL career points
● Dijon have signed small forward Leyton Hammonds, who started the season at Turkish side Besiktas.
● This will be the third meeting between Dijon and Ludwigsburg in the BCL. They faced off in the Round of 16 also in the 2021-22 season, with the German side picking up two wins.
● Dijon had never suffered consecutive defeats in the Round of 16 until last season, when they lost their last three games in this stage. They have alternated between wins and defeats in their last six home games in the Round of 16, losing the last one of the 2022-23 season (73-64 to Hapoel Jerusalem).
● Ludwigsburg are 1-4 in their last five road games in the BCL, after going 6-1 in their previous seven. The German side gave up 80+ points in each of their last six road games in the competition.
● Dijon's David Holston is 18 points away from becoming the fourth player in BCL history to reach 900 career points. The American point guard is averaging exactly 18 points in his three BCL games at home this season.
● Ludwigsburg's Jayvon Graves scored 20 or more points in six different BCL games this season, with his team winning five of those. Graves made 2 or more three-pointers in each of his last three games and if he repeats that feat on Tuesday it will be the first time he posts four games in a row with multiple made threes.
Group L - 20:30 CET - Murcia, Spain
Justin Smith has been spectacular on both ends of the floor in recent games
● Murcia have parted ways with center Jordan Sakho, who averaged 5.3 points and 3.5 rebounds in the BCL.
● Murcia and Holon have faced each other twice previously in the BCL, in the 2017-28 Regular Season, with the Spanish side winning both games. Both teams scored 75+ points in each of those two games.
● Murcia are riding a 5-game winning streak in the BCL, winning those games by an average margin of 18.8 points. Perhaps more impressively, they are 19-1 in their last 20 home games, with that loss coming against Unicaja in last season's Quarter-Finals.
● Holon are 1-5 in their last six road games in the Round of 16 but three of the most recent five were decided by margins of three points or fewer. Holon are also 1-5 in their previous six games in Spain.
● Murcia's Howard Sant-Roos is two steals away from becoming only the second player in BCL history to reach 100 career steals. Dijon's David Holston is the all-time leader, with 116. Sant-Roos averaged 3 steals per game in his last three BCL appearances.
● Holon's Justin Smith has been averaging an impressive 19.3 points and 8.7 rebounds per game in his last three BCL. Furthermore, Smith is the league leader when it comes to combined steals and blocks (27), with 18 steals and 9 blocks so far this season.