20 things to look out for in Tuesday's games
MIES (Switzerland) - Week two of the Basketball Champions League tips off on Tuesday with four games, including two head-to-head showdowns from Groups A and C that feature 1-0 teams.
Here's what you need to know ahead of the four Tuesday games:
Group C - 18:00 CET - Istanbul, Turkey
- Darussafaka won their first game of the BCL season and will try to win their first two games of a season for the first time in the competition; they have won three of their last four games at home in the BCL, with the sole defeat happening against Tenerife back in February, 80-59.
- Kyle Allman, who scored 21 points in his previous BCL game with Darussafaka, has scored more than 20 points in consecutive BCL games only once before. This will be his third game against Tenerife, and he scored 10 points in each of his previous two.
- Tenerife won their two previous games against Darussafaka in the BCL, both in the Round of 16 last season. Darussafaka have yet to score at least 75 points against the Spanish club in a BCL game.
- Tenerife have won their first road game of the season in four of their previous seven seasons in the BCL. However, they lost their most recent opening road game, 88-81 at Peristeri bwin, in 2022-23. The Spanish team have won five of their six BCL trips to Turkiye, four of those by margins of at least 12 points.
- Tim Abromaitis has played in 85 BCL games and if he appears in this one, he will tie Petr Benda for most games played in the competition. Abromaitis is also two rebounds away from becoming the first player in league history to reach 400 rebounds .
Group A - 18:30 CET - Peristeri, Greece
- Peristeri won their first home game in two of their previous three seasons in the BCL, including last season against Bnei Herzliya (86-70), their biggest home win in the competition; they have also won four of their last five home games.
- Peristeri made 10 or more three-pointers in each of their last three games in the BCL, while Szombathely haven't reached that mark in their last 21 games in the competition.
- Joe Ragland has recorded nine double-doubles in the BCL, and no other player has had more in league history (DJ Kennedy also has nine double-doubles); Ragland is averaging 7.4 assists per game in 48 appearances in the league, the highest average among all players with 15 or more games in the competition.
- Szombathely have lost their last six away games in the BCL, their longest ever losing run. However, they won on their previous two trips to Greece in the competition: 89-80 at PAOK in December 2019 and 89-83 against AEK in December 2021.
- Zoltan Perl has scored 10 or more points in 13 of his last 14 road games in the BCL, averaging 17.5 points per game in his most recent four. His three double-doubles in the competition have all come on the road, with the most recent one (19 points, 11 assists) at UCAM Murcia in November 2022.
Group D - 20:00 CET - Ludwigsburg, Germany
- Ludwigsburg won their first game at home in each of their last two campaigns in the BCL; last season's 41-point win against Bakken Bears in their first game at home was their second-biggest win ever in the competition (99-58).
- Ludwigsburg grabbed 22 offensive rebounds on Gameday 1, the most of any team in a BCL game so far in 2023. Historically, the German team have five different games of 20 or more offensive boards. the second most of any team in league history (UCAM Murcia have six such games).
- Jayvon Graves, who had 17 points and 7 assists against AEK in his first BCL game with Ludwigsburg, will be looking to post a second consecutive game of 15+ points and 5+ assists for the first time in his BCL career; Graves was on the losing side in each of the last three BCL games in which he scored 15 or more points.
- King Szczecin won their BCL debut against Banco di Sardegna Sassari 93-85 and could become the first Polish team to win their first two games in the competition. Teams from Poland have lost on five of their six BCL trips to Germany, with Anwil recording the sole win, 93-85 at Ludwigsburg in 2018.
- Jhonathan Dunn, now with King Szcecin, will go against his previous team Ludwigsburg; he made at least one three-pointer in each of his last nine games in the competition, including two in his first game with King Szczecin.
Group A - 20:30 CET - Malaga, Spain
- Only three teams committed fewer than 10 turnovers on Gameday 1, with Unicaja and Le Mans Sarthe Basket being two of those teams (9 turnovers each, alongside Promitheas Patras); Le Mans gave up only three points off turnovers, fewer than any other team.
- Unicaja have lost only one of their six home games in the BCL Regular Season, and that lone loss occurred back in December 2022 against Banco di Sardegna Sassari, 92-82. Each of those six games were determined by a double-digit margin.
- Unicaja's David Kravish has scored at least 10 points in each of his last three BCL games against teams from France. Interestingly, before this run, he had scored in double figures only once in his previous five games against French clubs. He also posted his personal BCL best, 18 rebounds, against JDA Dijon in February 2022.
- Le Mans Sarthe Basket will try to win their first road game of the season for the first time in their three BCL campaigns; eight of their last nine BCL road games ended with margins of more than 10 points.
- Le Mans' Wilfried Yeguete has at least 2 steals in each of his last five BCL games and is currently tied for eighth place on the BCL all-time steals list with Yorman Polas (73).