17 things to look out for in Wednesday's games
MIES (Switzerland) - The first week of action in the Round of 16 concludes on Wednesday with three contests, which include an all-French battle in Group I.
Here are 17 things you need to know ahead of the Wednesday's three games:
Group K - 18:30 CET - Peristeri, Greece
Ilias Kantzouris has taken the reins of Hapoel Jerusalem, the team he faced in last season's Quarter-Finals
● Hapoel Jerusalem have parted ways with long-term head coach Aleksandar Dzikic and handed the reins to Ilias Kantzouris, who started the season at French club Limoges CSP. Kantzouris was at the helm of AEK last season and led them to the BCL Quarter-Finals, where they lost the series to his new team, 2-1. Jerusalem have also added 29-year-old forward JaCorey Williams, who had started the season at Buducnost.
● Peristeri and Hapoel Jerusalem have faced each other twice previously in the BCL, during the Round of 16 in the 2019-20 season, and the Israeli side won both games.
● If Peristeri win on Wednesday they will extend their winning streak in the BCL to four games, which would be their longest ever in the competition. The Greek team have won seven of their last nine home games, albeit the most recent two by margins of only 3 points.
● Hapoel Jerusalem have an impressive 9-1 record in the Round of 16, with their only loss in this stage coming in January 2023 (84-77 to JDA Dijon). Even more impressively, the Israeli team have a 5-0 record on the road in the Round of 16, and gave up fewer than 65 points in each of the three road games in the 2022-23 season.
● Peristeri's Joe Ragland has posted three double-doubles over his last four BCL games and is the all-time leader in BCL history, will 12 career double-doubles. He has posted one double-double so far in the Round of 16 stage.
● Hapoel Jerusalem's Levi Randolph has scored a total of 383 points in the BCL since joining the Israeli team at the start of the 2022-23 season, more than any other player over the same period.
Group I - 20:00 CET - Cholet, France
Tidjane Salaun has become the second-youngest player to reach 100 BCL career points
● If Cholet win on Wednesday they will extend their winning streak in the BCL to three games, which would be their longest ever in the competition. They scored 90 or more points in each of their last two BCL games, as often as in their first 13 league games.
● Strasbourg have a 5-2 record in the have seven road games they have played in the Round of 16 over the previous seasons, and won all four road games in this stage in which they were leading at half-time.
● Cholet and Strasbourg can boast of having the two stingiest defenses among all teams that have made it to the Round of 15 when it comes to giving up two-pointers. Cholet allows opponents to score only 16.1 shots from within the arc on average, and Strasbourg only 16.5. They are also both in the top-3 when it comes to points allowed in the paint, as Strasbourg give up only 25.7 and Cholet give up 27.8 per game. (Galatasaray's defense is second, allowing 26.8 points in the paint per game).
● Cholet's Tidjane Salaun has become the second-youngest player to reach 100 career points in the BCL. Salaun scored his102nd point last week, when he was 18 years and 160 days old. He has scored 15 pr more points in three of his last four home games in the competition. The youngest player to reach the 100-point milestone in BCL history remains Amar Sylla, who was 18 years and 127 days old when he passed the mark.
● Strasbourg's Phil Booth has scored more than 12 points in each of his six games in the BCL this season, as often as in his 13 league appearances with Filou Oostende in the 2021-22 season.
Group I - 20:30 CET - Malaga, Spain
Austin Wiley is a member of a select club, as one of four players to average 12+ points and 10+ rebounds this season
● Unicaja are 3-0 in their last three home games in the BCL, scoring more than 80 points on each occasion. If they win on Wednesday, they will tie their longest ever winning streak at home. Unicaja won all three home games in the 2022-23 Round of 16.
● Three of Tofas's four wins in the BCL this season came on the road, including their two road games in the Play-Ins, against PAOK. However, they had a 1-2 record on the road the last time they appeared in the Round of 16, in the 2021-22 season.
● Unicaja are leading the BCL this season in fastbreak points with 17. 3 per game. They don't only have the most productive transition offense though, but also the best transition defense, as they allow a league-best (low) 7.2 fastbreak points per game.
● Unicaja are also leading the league in second unit scoring, with their bench players contributing 45.3 points per game.
● Unicaja's Kendrick Perry scored 15 or more points in each of his last two BCL games and if he repeats that feat on Wednesday it will be the first time he achieves this feat in three consecutive games in the competition. He was either Unicaja’s leading or joint-leading scorer in his last two BCL games.
● Tofas's Austin Wiley is averaging 13.4 points and 10.1 rebounds per game as one of only four players in this season's BCL to average more than 12 points and 10 rebounds. Wiley had more than 15 rebounds in each of his last two games, the only player so far in competition history with consecutive 15+ rebound games.