16 things to look out for in Tuesday's games
MIES (Switzerland) - Tuesday features a three-game slate but the repercussions of the day's results are potentially enormous, as two teams (Lenovo Tenerife in Group C and AEK BETTSON BC in Group D) could book a direct ticket to the Round of 16, if results go their way.
Here are 16 things you need to know ahead of the three Regular Season games on Tuesday:
Group C - 18:30 CET - Riga, Latvia
Tim Abromaitis is one of three Tenerife players who could hit a big milestone on Tuesday
● The two teams have met five times previously, and Tenerife have won all five games. VEF is the only BCL club against which Tenerife have a 5-0 record. Tenerife gave up 61.2 points per game in those five encounters, their best defensive average against any other BCL team they have faced more than twice.
● VEF have a 2-11 record in their 13 most recent BCL games but both those wins came at home games, with the most recent victory coming in the immediately previous game, against Cholet (70-63). The last time the Latvian side won back-to-back BCL games was in November-December 2020, when they won three in a row.
● Tenerife have lost three of their last four road games in the BCL, including their only loss so far in the current campaign (88-84 at Darüssafaka Lassa). In fact, all seven of Tenerife's last defeats in the competition came in road games.
● VEF's Isaiah Pineiro scored in double digits in each of his last four home games in the BCL, his longest such run in the competition. If he steps out on Tuesday it will be his fourth game against Tenerife, against whom he scored 22 points in March 2021 in what was his second-highest scoring game in the competition.
● Three Tenerife players could join in this game the very select company of (four, so far) players who have reached 800 career points in the BCL: Tim Abromaitis is currently at 794 career points, Marcelinho Huertas has 786 and Sasu Salin is at 782. Salin is also one three-pointer away from becoming the first player in BCL history to have made 200 triples.
Group D - 18:30 CET - Athens, Greece
Every time Justin Tillman scores 15+ points in a BCL game his team wins - and that was the case in the reverse fixture
● The two teams have met three times previously and AEK have a 2-1 record in those three games, including an 83-79 win in the reverse fixture in Sardinia on October 25. AEK came back from a 19-point third-quarter deficit to win that game.
● AEK, currently riding a 4-game win streak in the BCL, are off to their best start in their eight years in the competition. If we combine results from consecutive BCL seasons, then AEK's longest ever winning streak was 6 games in a row - it started in January in the 2019-20 season and ended in October in the 2020-21 season.
● AEK have scored more than 80 points in each of their games so far this season. AEK have a total of 9,065 points and became in the previous game the second ever team to reach the 9,000-point mark in BCL history (Tenerife currently have 10,203 points).
● Sassari have won just two of their last six BCL games, but both wins came on the road. The Italian side won their most recent road game (89-79 at MHP RIESEN Ludwigsburg) but haven’t won consecutive road games since January-February 2020, when they won two in a row.
● AEK's Justin Tillman has scored 15+ points in six of his nine games in the BCL, and his team ended up winning all six of those encounters. If he scores 15 or more points in Tuesday's game too it will be the first time he posts that statline in four consecutive BCL games.
● Sassari's Breein Tyree has scored more than 12 points in each of his last three BCL games, for the first time in his BCL career. Tyree dished a BCL career-high 7 assists in the reverse fixture.
Group C - 20:00 CET - Cholet, France
The 22-year-old Gerald Ayayi has grown in leaps and bounds and is Cholet's leading scorer this BCL season
● Janis Timma and Mason Jones have parted ways with Darüssafaka.
● Cholet, who won 91-80 in the reverse fixture in Turkiye, are looking on Tuesday to win multiple games against the same team for the first time in the BCL. The reverse fixture marked the first time Cholet scored 90 or more points in a BCL game.
● Darüssafaka have a 1-4 record in their last five road games in the BCL. That win was their 84-75 success at VEF Riga in the season opener. Each of Darüssafaka's last four road games was decided by a single-digit margin.
● Cholet are only the fourth team in BCL history to have played 10 games in the competition and never made 10 or more three-pointers in any of them. The other three teams are Fribourg Olympic (14 games), Muratbey Usak (14 games) and Maccabi Rand Media (16 games).
● Cholet's Gerald Ayayi is averaging 16 points per game in his last three BCL appearances and is leading his team in scoring with 14.3 points per game on a 57.6 percent shooting from the floor. When Ayayi first played in the BCL when he was 18 years old and averaged 1.8 points per game in his previous 10 BCL games. .