Week 7 - Tuesday Games Preview
MIES (Switzerland) - The regular season in the Basketball Champions League is heating up with head-to-head becoming a factor, as group play continues on Tuesday November 29 with three matchups in Turkey, Italy and Spain.
Here's a look at the three games on Tuesday:
Game 1: Bahcesehir College (1-2) v ERA Nymburk (1-2) - Group D
Where: Istanbul, Turkey
When: 18:00 CET
- Bahcesehir and Nymburk are each averaging 4.7 steals per game in the BCL this season, fewer than any other team and they are two of the three teams averaging the fewest points from turnovers per game, with Nymburk having the lowest average (8.3, Bahcesehir 10.7 – also VEF Riga 8.5).
- Bahcesehir have lost their last two BCL games, including the last game against Nymburk (79-76), however, they won their only previous home game in the competition (v Igokea 70-67); two of their three BCL games have been won by the team trailing at the end of the third quarter.
- Nymburk won their last game, against Bahcesehir (79-76), ending a run of five straight defeats in the BCL; they have lost their last two away games in the competition, as many as in their previous seven games away from home.
- Jerry Boutsiele is averaging 15.3 points and 10.7 rebounds per game and has two double-doubles in his three appearances with Bahcesehir in the BCL; in fact, Boutsiele has recorded four double-doubles in his nine games in the league, but only one of those was at home.
- Marek Klassen has made a double-double with points and assists in each of his two BCL games with Nymburk; only Chris Wright has made three consecutive double-doubles with points and assists in league history, and it was also in his first three games in the competition.
Game 2: Dinamo BDS Sassari (0-3) v PAOK mateco (1-2) - Group G
Where: Sassari, Italy
When: 20:30 CET
- Sassari have lost their last five games in the BCL, including their only previous matchup with PAOK (88-68), but have never lost six games in a row in the competition; they have lost six of their last eight home games in the BCL after losing only three of the previous 14.
- Chinanu Onuaku has scored 20+ points in two of his three games with Sassari in the BCL; in fact, Onuaku is the only player to have combined for 20+ points, 5+ rebounds and 5+ assists in multiple league games in 2022-23 – however, the only game in which he didn't accomplish that was in the last game against PAOK (13 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists).
- PAOK have lost their last three away games in the BCL but have lost more in succession only once before, in November 2016-January 2017 (4 in a row); those last three away defeats have seen final margins of 12 points or more.
- PAOK have the lowest averages in both rebounds (31.3) and assists (12.0) per game in the BCL this season; PAOK (0.82) and Sassari (0.95) are two of the three teams, alongside VEF Riga (0.92) to average fewer than one assist per turnover in the BCL 2022-23.
- Jalen Riley has scored 12 or more points in each of his last four games in the BCL, after scoring that many points in three of his previous six games in the competition; Riley has made multiple three-pointers in each of those last four games.
Game 3: Lenovo Tenerife (2-1) v Bnei Ofek Dist Herzliya (1-2) - Group H
Where: San Cristobal de la Laguna, Spain
When: 20:30 CET
- Tenerife have won 13 of their last 14 games in the BCL, including the last game against Herzliya (95-57); the reigning champions have won 26 of their last 28 games at home in the competition.
- Tenerife are the most accurate team from behind the arc in the BCL this season (48.7 percent from three-point) and are making more three-pointers per game than any other team (12.3); it's more than double of Herzliya's average of three-pointers made per game (6.0 per game), tied for the third lowest average in the BCL this season.
- Tenerife's Giorgi Shermadini needs to score 11 points to reach No. 3 on the all-time scoring list in BCL history; he currently has 728 points, while TaShawn Thomas has 738; his teammate Tim Abromaitis (349 rebounds) could become the top rebounder in league history, as long as he makes four more than Nymburk's Petr Benda against Bahcesehir on this gameday (352).
- Herzliya lost the last game by a 38-point differential (95-57) and will try to avoid losing consecutive games for the first time in the BCL; they have conceded 85 or more points in each of their three games in the competition.
- Julian Gamble has scored an average of 4.7 points per game against his former team Tenerife in the BCL, the second lowest average against the 21 teams he has faced in the competition (4.5 v PAOK). Gamble scored 24 points in his first game with Herzliya but only 4 in the last game against Tenerife.