Week 3 - Round of 16 Tuesday games preview
MIES (Switzerland) - The Basketball Champions League Round of 16 is entering its last week before the three-week break for the final window of the FIBA Basketball World Cup Qualifiers. Two games plus the Game of the Week await on Tuesday, February 7.
The three Round of 16 Week 3 games involving Turkish clubs (Darussafaka Lassa v UCAM Murcia; Bahcesehir College v BAXI Manresa; Unicaja v Galatasaray Nef) have been postponed and will be rescheduled, due to the devastating earthquake in Turkey.
Here's a look at the three games on Tuesday:
Game 1: AEK (1-1) v Limoges CSP (0-2) - Group K
Where: Athens, Greece
When: 18:30 CET
AEK lost their first game to Unicaja, but rebounded with a win over Galatasaray Nef, while Limoges have lost both games to Galatasaray and Unicaja.
😮💨Another chapter in the 🇹🇷/🇬🇷rivalry belongs to Dimitris Flionis and @aekbcgr: The lefty point guard flirted with a 𝙏𝙍𝙄𝙋𝙇𝙀-𝘿𝙊𝙐𝘽𝙇𝙀, The Queen 👑 stole one on the road in Istanbul! #BasketballCL pic.twitter.com/Vfwq6l5Rjh— Basketball Champions League (@BasketballCL) January 31, 2023
- AEK have won their last three home games in the BCL after losing three of the previous four; they were trailing at halftime in each of those last three home wins, including two by a deficit of 10+ points at halftime.
- AEK have conceded the fewest points in the paint per game amongst all teams in the BCL this season (25.8); however, the team conceding the fewest 2P per game in the league this season is Limoges (15.8).
- AEK's Akil Mitchell has registered a double-double in four of his last five BCL games after having none in his previous eight appearances in the competition; after recording a double-double in each of his last three games, he will attempt to become the fifth player with a streak of four consecutive double-doubles.
- Limoges have lost their last two BCL games, each by margins of more than 15 points, after winning five of the previous six; they suffered their heaviest defeat in the BCL during their last away game, 100-73 at Galatasaray Nef.
- Limoges' Jayvon Graves has scored more than 10 points in each of his last three BCL games after doing it in only two of his previous eight games in the competition; he has made as many three-pointers in his last three games (7) than in his previous eight combined (7).
Game 2: Hapoel Bank Yahav Jerusalem (1-1) v SIG Strasbourg (2-0) - Group I
Where: Jerusalem, Israel
When: 20:00 CET
Jerusalem lost their first game to JDA Bourgogne Dijon and then defeated Hapoel Atsmon Holon, while Strasbourg have defeated Holon and Dijon.
📈 Oh yeah, these two wins are gonna make a difference in the 𝐏𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐑𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬: SIG Strasbourg are the only unbeaten team in the French-Israeli group, winning the 𝐁𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐅𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞! 🇫🇷— Basketball Champions League (@BasketballCL) February 1, 2023
- Jerusalem have won five of their last six games in the BCL but the only defeat in that span came in their most recent home game, played against another French team (84-77 v JDA Bourgogne Dijon); nine of their last 10 home games in the BCL ended up with margins of 10 points or fewer.
- Jerusalem's Levi Randolph has already played four games against his former team Strasbourg in the BCL, scoring at least 14 points in each of those games (two with Avellino, two with Oostende); Randolph has scored 17.2 points per game in his last six home games in the BCL.
- Strasbourg have won their last two BCL games but have not won three in a row since January 2022 (three in a row); Strasbourg have scored more than 40 points in the first half of each of their last three BCL games after doing so in only two of their previous 12 games.
- Strasbourg have made the most two-point shots per game of any team in the BCL this season (24.0); only MHP RIESEN (76.3) and Bakken Bears (76.1) have had more possessions per game than them (75.9).
- Marcus Keene has scored more than 20 points in each of his two games in the BCL playoffs after doing it only once in his six games during the Regular Season; Keene also has 7+ assists in each of his last two games after never dishing out more than five in his previous six games.
Round of 16 Game of the Week: Lenovo Tenerife (2-0) v Surne Bilbao (1-1) - Group L
For the Game of the Week preview, click here.