Week 2 - Round of 16 Tuesday Games Preview
MIES (Switzerland) - Gameday 2 of the Round of 16 in the Basketball Champions League continues on Tuesday January 31 with four games from Groups J, K and L. One of the notable matchups features two 0-1 teams looking to get into the win column.
Here's a look at the four games on Tuesday:
Game 1: Galatasaray Nef (1-0) v AEK (0-1) - Group K
Where: Istanbul, Turkey
When: 18:00 CET
View this post on Instagram
- Galatasaray have won seven of their last 10 home games in the BCL, with their last three wins in that streak coming with margins of greater than 10 points; Galatasaray have scored 85+ points in each of their last four home games after scoring fewer than 75 points in the previous three.
- Galatasaray have made just 9.4 turnovers per 100 possessions, the best ratio of any team in the BCL in 2022-23; they have also made 2.1 assists per turnovers, being the only team with twice the assists than turnovers in the league this season.
- Tyrus McGee has scored multiple three-pointers in each of his four games with Galatasaray in the BCL; he has made a total of 107 shots from behind the arc in the history of the competition and if he scores two more, he will overcome former Galatasaray guard Dee Bost for eighth amongst players with the most made threes.
- AEK have won just three of their 14 away games in the BCL since the start of the 2020-21 season, but their most recent such win happened in Turkey (85-82 at Tofas Bursa); they have won their last three BCL games against Turkish opponents after winning just two of their previous nine games against such teams.
- Akil Mitchell has made three double-doubles in his last four BCL games, averaging 20 points and 12 rebounds in that span; only Mitchell has 16+ points (17.1) and 8+ rebounds (9.1) per game this season (min. four games).
Game 2: Rytas Vilnius (0-1) v Bahcesehir College (0-1) - Group J
Where: Vilnius, Lithuania
When: 18:30 CET
Rytas started the Round of 16 with an 82-69 loss against BAXI Manresa, while Bahcesehir lost 74-68 to Telekom Baskets Bonn.
- Rytas have won their last three home games in the BCL and a win over Bahcesehir will see them equaling their best winning streak at home (four between January and December 2021); Rytas have conceded fewer than 65 points in each of their last two home games after keeping their opponents under that mark in only one of their previous 12 home games.
- Rytas have grabbed 41.2 percent of the rebounds on the offensive glass, the highest such percentage of any team in the BCL in 2022-23; they're averaging the most offensive rebounds per game in the league this season (14.9) and score the third most points per game off second chances (14.5).
- Rytas' Marcus Foster has scored more than 20 points in seven different BCL games this season, more than any other player; Foster has had as many 20+ point games this season as in his two previous BCL campaigns combined.
- Three of Bahcesehir's last four away games in the BCL ended with margins of six or fewer points; they have lost their most recent road game after winning the previous two.
- Jerry Boutsiele has made multiple blocks in seven of his last eight games – he has blocked a total of 26 shots in 2022-23, 11 more than any other player in the BCL this season.
Game 3: Limoges CSP (0-1) v Unicaja (1-0) - Group K
Where: Limoges, France
When: 20:30 CET
Limoges lost their first Round of 16 game against Galatasaray Nef, 100-73, while Unicaja defeated AEK 88-66.
- Limoges have won their last two home games in the BCL, as many wins as in their previous five games at home in the competition; those two wins came with margins of 20+ points after each of their previous five home games had ended up with margins of five points or fewer.
- Limoges' Wilfried Yeguete needs to grab five rebounds to reach ninth place on the all-time rebounding list; he currently has 281 boards, while Gasper Vidmar and Suleiman Braimoh both have 285; with seven rebounds, he will even overtake D.J. Kennedy (287) in the eighth spot.
- Unicaja have won all their three road games in the BCL this season after winning just two of their seven games away from Malaga in the previous season; they are scoring 88.7 points per game on the road this season, the second highest average in the league in 2022-23 behind Hapoel Atsmon Holon (89.2).
- Unicaja have scored 23.9 points per game in the first quarter, the most amongst all teams in the BCL in 2022-23; at the end of the first 10 minutes, they enjoy an average lead of 7.1 points per game, also the most of any team in the league this season.
- Kendrick Perry scored 22 points in his last BCL game with Unicaja but has never scored 20+ points in consecutive league games; he's averaging 9.7 points and 5.0 assists in his three BCL games against French teams.
Game 4: UCAM Murcia (0-1) v Surne Bilbao (1-0) - Group L
Where: Murcia, Spain
When: 20:30 CET
Murcia suffered an 85-65 loss to Lenovo Tenerife to begin the Round of 16, while Bilbao picked up an 85-75 win over Darussafaka Lassa.
- Murcia have won their last 13 home games in the BCL, only two teams had better streaks in the history of the competition (Monaco 17 and Hapoel Jerusalem 15); their last home defeat came the last time they hosted a team from Spain however, against Lenovo Tenerife in the Round of 16 in 2017-18 (71-66).
- Nemanja Radovic has scored in double figures in his last three BCL games but has never had a longer such streak in the competition; Radovic has averaged 14 points and 8 rebounds per game in his last three appearances with Murcia in the competition, after averaging 5.8 points and 4.6 rebounds in his first five games this season.
- Bilbao are undefeated on the road this season, winning their three matches by an average margin of 17 points; they have conceded 60 or fewer points in two of their three away games in the BCL this season.
- Bilbao have conceded only 7.3 points per game in fast break situations and 10.7 per game after turnovers, both the fewest of any team in the BCL in 2022-23.
- Ludvig Hakanson has made 10+ points and 5+ assists in five of his six games in the BCL this season; the Swedish guard is yet to miss a free-throw in the competition, making all of his 21 attempts from the foul line, 17 of those in 2022-23.