15 things to look out for in Tuesday's games
MIES (Switzerland) - Round of 16 Week 5 in the Basketball Champions League is here and action gets underway Tuesday, March 14 with three games from Groups I, J and L.
Here's what you need to know ahead of the three Tuesday games:
Group L - 19:00 CET - Istanbul, Turkey
- Darussafaka won their most recent home game in the BCL (105-104 v UCAM Murcia) but are yet to win consecutive games on their home court in the league this season; Darussafaka have scored more than 85 points in each of their last two games, something they had never done in consecutive BCL games before.
- Markel Starks has scored in double figures in each of his last six games with Darussafaka, after scoring that many in only one of his previous seven games in the BCL; Starks was one of Darussafaka's only two players scoring more than 10 points against Bilbao in the last game.
- Bilbao are on a three-game losing streak, their longest in BCL history but their most recent victory happened in the last game against Darussafaka (85-75); Bilbao have scored fewer than 75 points in each of their last three games in the competition, after scoring 80+ in five of the previous six.
- Bilbao have conceded only 6.6 points per game from fast break situations, the fewest amongst all teams in the BCL in 2022-23; they also block the most shots per game in the league this season (4.7).
- Adam Smith has scored 16+ points in each of his last two BCL games and will try to score 16 or more points in three consecutive games for the first time since December 2019 – January 2020; however, Smith has scored fewer than 15 points in each of his four BCL trips to Turkey.
The standings in Group L heading into this week's games, as three teams are battling for second place and a spot in the Quarter-Finals:
8/12 games played
|1||Lenovo Tenerife *||4||4||0||100||317||262||55||79.2||65.5||8|
Group I - 21:00 CET - Dijon, France
- Dijon lost their last BCL game (86-67 v SIG Strasbourg) but have not lost consecutive games in the competition since January 2021, when they lost two in a row; Dijon have conceded 80+ points in each of their last four home games, as often as in their previous 16 home games in the competition.
- David Holston (782 points) needs 18 points to become the third player with 800+ points in BCL history (behind Vojtech Hruban and Giorgi Shermadini). He scored exactly 20 points in each of his previous two encounters against Jerusalem in the BCL.
- Jerusalem are leading the BCL this season in two-point field goal percentage, as they are shooting 57.5 percent from two-point range. Dijon, on the other hand, have the worst defensive percentage in two-point attempts in the league this season, allowing opponents to shoot 59.2 percent from inside the arc.
- Jerusalem have won seven of their last eight BCL games, with the lone defeat in that span happening against Dijon in the last game (84-77); this will be their fourth BCL trip to France where they have celebrated only one victory, precisely against Dijon in February 2019 (85-83).
- Zach Hankins has grabbed 10 or more rebounds in each of his last four games in the BCL and is looking to become the first ever player to do so in five consecutive games; he has scored more than 10 points in eight of his last nine BCL games.
The standings in Group I as we head into this week, with three teams vying for the top two spots and a trip to the Quarter-Finals:
8/12 games played
|1||Hapoel Bank Yahav Jerusalem||4||3||1||75.0||292||8||75||73||7|
|3||JDA Bourgogne Dijon||4||2||2||50.0||329||-17||78||82.2||6|
|4||Hapoel Atsmon Holon||4||0||4||0||343||-24||79.8||85.8||4|
Group J - 21:00 CET - Bonn, Germany
- Bonn have won their last nine BCL games and will attempt to become the third team to win 10 games in a row in the competition (Monaco 14, Lenovo Tenerife 12); they were trailing by more than two points in only one of their last five BCL games, it was in the last game against Manresa where they were trailing by six points.
- Bonn have scored 42.7 points per game in the second half, more than any team in the BCL this season; they have a positive differential of 7.3 points per game in the second half, best in the league.
- Javontae Hawkins scored 20 points and had five assists in his first BCL game with Bonn last week against Rytas Vilnius; For Hawkins, who started the season at Limoges, that was his first BCL game with more than 5 assists and more than 20 points (out of 12 BCL games this season). Interestingly though, the only other game he scored at least points, was against Manresa in December 2022, when he had 21 points.
- Manresa have won their last five road games in the BCL, including the four they played this season; four of those five wins ended up with margins of three points or fewer.
- Among the players with more than three appearances in the BCL this season, Manresa's Dani Perez is the only one to have 5+ assists in each of his games (nine games); however, he failed to score in his last three BCL appearances after scoring in 28 of his previous 30 games.
The standings in Group J, as two teams are still fighting for second place and a trip to the Quarter-Finals:
8/12 games played
|1||Telekom Baskets Bonn *||4||4||0||100||346||288||58||86.5||72||8|