19 September, 2017
06 May, 2018
Game Report
to read

Murcia eliminate defending champions as Karsiyaka & AEK also advance

MIES (Basketball Champions League) - Pinar Karsiyaka, AEK and UCAM Murcia are all heading onto the Quarter-Finals after overcoming first leg defeats.

Iberostar Tenerife vs UCAMurcia

The defending champions suffered an early exit at the hands of Spanish rivals, UCAM Murcia, after going down 72-83 on their home court.

Brad Oleson fired in 20 points on 6 of 8 shooting from 3-point range to help lead his side into the last eight with a 143-149 aggregate success.

Charlon Kloof weighed in with 15 points, while Alex Urtasun dished out 6 assists to go with 14 points and Ovie Soko grabbed 5 steals along with 7 points and 8 boards.

"I think we played a really good game," declared Urtasun. "We knew it would be tough and we came to play our best defense and offense."

Murcia head coach Ibon Navarro added: "This is a very important victory for the club and for the fans and I want to congratulate my players.

"We came here against the reigning champions - not only one of the best teams in Basketball Champions League but in Liga Endesa too.

"It was a victory not just for heart, but also concentration as well."

The visitors trailed 18-15 after the opening period before scoring 25 points in the second to lead at the break through Soko's buzzer beater from half court.

Murcia opened up a double-digit advantage ahead of the final period and they were able to keep Tenerife at bay in a thrilling finale.

Mateusz Ponitka top scored with 16 points as the defense of their crown came to an end at the Round of 16 stage.

Pinar Karsiyaka vs PAOK

Pinar Karsiyaka overturned last week’s first leg defeat as they advanced to the last eight with a 79-67 home victory over PAOK.

Jarrod Jones and DJ Kennedy combined for 46 points in the win to help secure an overall 147-141 success with Berk Ugurlu handing out 8 assists to go with 12 points.

The hosts were quick to wipe out their 6-point deficit with a 20-13 opening period and their lead on the night hit double figures going into half-time.

A 10-2 run from PAOK saw them restore overall control in the tie but they were unable to move ahead in a low-scoring third quarter.

Karsiyaka started the fourth with an 11-2 burst to open up a 66-50 advantage and, despite a late rally from the visitors, they managed to close out the victory and reach the Quarter-Finals for the second year in a row.

Karsiyaka will meet Murcia in the last eight having beaten them twice previously in the group stage of the competition this season.

CEZ Nymburk vs AEK

AEK pulled off an impressive result on the road as they overcame CEZ Nymburk 82-93 to edge through by a single point on aggregate.

The Greek side had lost by 10 at home in the first leg but produced a stunning finish with an 8-0 close including Kevin Punter’s 3-pointer with 2.8 seconds left on the clock.

Manny Harris starred with a 36-point haul for AEK with Dusan Sakota and Giannoulis Larentzakis adding 11 points apiece in the win.

"We just stayed in there - it wasn’t our best game but we fought to the end," said Harris.

"We had a great strategy and everyone stayed with it for the full 40 minutes."

AEK head coach Dragan Sakota added: "First of all congratulations to the players. It was hard to recover the difference from the first game but the players believed in this and so did the fans who came to support us.

"Sometimes when you score the last shot you consider yourself lucky but sometimes you get the luck by playing hard."

AEK built a slender 40-42 lead at half-time before the hosts poured in 28 points in the third quarter to establish a 4-point lead. However, they were held to half of that total in the final period as AEK battled back to come out on top in a dramatic conclusion.

Kendrick Ray led Nymburk with 18 points as they fell at the Round of 16 stage.

"It's devastating," said Vojtech Hruban. "After such a good season and a good first game in Athens - we just didn't finish the job.

"Little bit unlucky, they got their first lead they needed with 3 seconds to go, but we had a bad last few minutes with some silly mistakes."