Week 3 - Round of 16 Wednesday games preview
MIES (Switzerland) - The third week of Round of 16 games in the Basketball Champions League continues Wednesday February 8 with two games from Groups I and J instead of four due to the devastating earthquake in Turkey.
Here's a look at the two games on Wednesday:
Game 1: Rytas Vilnius (1-1) v Telekom Baskets Bonn (2-0) - Group J
Where: Vilnius, Lithuania
When: 18:30 CET
View this post on Instagram
Rytas first lost to BAXI Manresa before defeating Bahcesehir College, while Bonn have beat both Bahcesehir and Manresa.
- Rytas have won their last four home games in the BCL and will try to win five home games in a row for the first time; they have scored more than 80 points in each of their last six home games after scoring 71 points or fewer in three of the previous four.
- Rytas Vilnius have grabbed 40.4 percent of the rebounds on their offensive basket - the highest ratio in the BCL this season; they are averaging 14.4 offensive rebounds per game, tied for the most alongside MHP RIESEN.
- Rytas' Marcus Foster has scored 25+ points in his last two BCL games but only two players have managed to do it in more games in a row in the competition (Kevin Punter and TJ Shorts II); he is one of the two players to have scored 30+ points in multiple games this season (two games, also Maurice Kemp) but no player has ever scored 30+ points in three games during a single BCL season.
- Bonn have won their last seven games in the BCL, but no German team has ever won eight games in a row in the competition (Brose Bamberg, also seven wins between February 2020 and January 2021); they have scored more than 85 points in each of their last three away games after not scoring that many points in any of their previous 14 games away from home.
- Bonn's Collin Malcolm has scored a total of 58 points in his last three BCL games after scoring only 15 points in his first four games combined; he grabbed more than three rebounds in only two BCL games this season, but each were while playing away from home, grabbing eight rebounds on both occasions.
Game 2: JDA Bourgogne Dijon (1-1) v Hapoel Atsmon Holon (0-2) - Group I
Where: Dijon, France
When: 20:00 CET
View this post on Instagram
Dijon started with a win over Hapoel Bank Yahav Jerusalem before losing to SIG Strasbourg, while Holon have suffered two losses to Strasbourg and Jerusalem.
- Dijon lost their last game in the BCL (85-72 v Strasbourg) but have not lost consecutive games since January 2021 (two in a row); three of their last four defeats in the BCL came while playing at home.
- Dijon's Gregor Hrovat has scored more than 10 points in each of his last five BCL games, his best streak in his 44 games in the competition; he failed to score a three-pointer in each of his last three games (0-of-7 from three-point in total) after scoring at least once from behind the arc in 10 of his previous 11 appearances.
- Holon have lost their last two games in the BCL, each by margins of only two points, but have not lost more games in a row since January-November 2020 (three in a row); each of their last three games have seen the team trailing at halftime managing to win the game.
- Holon are scoring 121.3 points per 100 possessions, the highest offensive ratio of any team in the BCL in 2022-23; they also have 21.1 assists per 100 possessions, the most this season.
- Holon's Chris Johnson has scored 323 points in the BCL playoffs, the second-most only behind Giorgi Shermadini (372); he has recorded one double-double in the BCL playoffs, it was precisely against Dijon in the Round of 16 last season (16 points, 10 rebounds).