19 September, 2017
06 May, 2018
50 Assem Marei (GER), 32 Gabe York (GER), 12 Talor Battle (SLO)
Game Report
to read

Olimpija escape Bayreuth with one-point upset win

BAYREUTH (Basketball Champions League) - Petrol Olimpija escaped with a 79-78 shock-victory over Medi Bayreuth on Wednesday evening in Germany.

Assem Marei's tip-in that would have been the winner for Bayreuth was after the final buzzer, as Olimpija held on for an upset win.

Mayreuth blew an opportunity to go top of the Group C, falling to 6-4, whilst Olimpija join the Play-Off battle at 4-6, leaving Banvit all alone at the top of the group at 7-3.

Jordan Morgan had 15 points, 5 rebounds and 3 blocks without missing a shot as he went 6-for-6 from the floor and 3-for-3 at the line. Point guard Talor Battle and forward Gregor Hrovat finished with 13 each for Olimpija, whilst Captain Dormen Lorbek joined them in double figures with 10.

"I am extremely happy today," Lorbek said. "Of course, we won by 1 point, but I'm happy because we had 16 assists because it showed we played as a team. I'm also happy that we were up there on rebounds, we matched Bayreuth's team on the boards.

"At the end I still think we had too many turnovers, we could do much better but I'm happy with the win."

Gabe York had a game-high 24 points but struggled with his shooting at times, Marei had 15 and De'Mon Brooks finished with 11.

"Ljubjana played an excellent game," Bayreuth captain Bastien Doreth said after the game.

"They defended us really well and we started to defend very late. I think at the end we made some stupid mistakes and we didn't deserve to win the game today, so congratulations to Ljubjana.

Neither team could get separation early, but with the score tied at 15 and a little over 3 minutes to play in the first quarter, Olimpija reeled off an 8-0 run to take control heading into the second period. Hrovat had 8 in the first, whilst York struggled on 1/5 shooting from three.

Olimpija kept piling it on in the second, behind their three point shooting; another Hrovat three gave them a 41-28 lead with 3:32 to play in the half forcing a timeout with their biggest lead of the game.

Bayreuth began their comeback in the second half, fighting back before a Marei slam gave the home side the lead for first time since the opening quarter with less than four minutes to play setting up a thrilling finish.

Olimpija responded immediately. A huge three from Gabe York tied it at 75 with little over a minute to play, before Morgan replied with a lay up inside to break the tie.

An ill-advised unsportsmanlike foul called on De'Mon Brooks under the basket with 33 seconds left gave Olimpija two more free throws, which Hrovat knocked down to seal Bayreuth's fate.