Rankings for the first 3-year cycle revealed
MIES (Switzerland) - The Basketball Champions League has established clear and transparent principles that determine participation into the competition. To this end, the Basketball Champions League has developed an Access List.
This Access List serves two (2) principles purposes:
- Each club that participates in the BCL collects points based on performance
- These points are accumulated and constitute the “BCL Club Ranking”
- Club ranking will classify clubs that are participating in the BCL and will be used to seed clubs at various stages of the BCL Draws
- Points accumulated during the last three (3) seasons will be taken into consideration prior to determining the ranking of each new season
- The points accumulated by the clubs of each country constitute the “BCL Country Ranking”
- The total number of points gained annually by the clubs of each country will be divided by the number of clubs from the same country that have entered the competition during that season
- Country Ranking is used to define the number of clubs each country is entitled to enter into the various stages of the BCL
The Access List helps provide a transparent and objective process for determining the participation of clubs each season, highlighting a key pillar of the Basketball Champions League: sporting principles.
By being awarded points for every victory and for each successful qualification, clubs are able to directly affect their own ranking and determine their overall position. Consequently, the impact on the country ranking allows for a dynamic process whereby each club individually and all clubs from the same country collectively are responsible for impacting their country’s overall ranking and determining, in effect, the total number of clubs that a country could register and the stage of the competition each club will enter.
The collection of points by clubs participating in the Basketball Champions League is as follows:
* Not applicable in Season 1,4
** Only applicable in Season 1
These rankings are dynamic, and are accessible via our website (see the menu, "More" > "Access List"). They will be updated every week, after the conclusion of each Gameday.