Everything you need to know ahead of Tuesday's season-opening games
MIES (Switzerland) - The fourth edition of the Basketball Champions League tips off on Tuesday and we have put together a host of interesting facts to wet your appetite for the eight season-opening clashes that take place across Europe.
- Gaziantep will play in the BCL for the second season, while Peristeri are debuting in the competition. Gaziantep have lost their only game they have played at home against a Greek team in the BCL (65-77 v PAOK in December 2017).
- Gaziantep have won only two of the previous seven home games they have played in the BCL, with one of those wins being in the first game of the 2017/18 season (82-77 v SikeliArchivi Capo d’Orlando).
- Gaziantep have won all the four games in which they have scored 80+ points in the BCL and have lost all their games in which they have scored fewer than 80 points in the competition.
- Peristeri will be the fifth Greek team debuting in the BCL: before them, only PAOK have failed to win their first game in the competition among all Greek teams.
- Peristeri’s Will Hatcher has appeared in 43 games in the BCL – 30 as a starter and 13 as a bench player, with three different teams (Partizan, Dinamo Sassari, PAOK). He will be one of the only two players to appear in the BCL with a 4th different team, alongside Nemanja Durisic.
Mornar Bar's Jacob Pullen, Damir Markota, Sead Sehovic and Derek Needham strike a pose ahead of the new season
- VEF Riga will debut in BCL while Mornar Bar are playing their second season in the competition, after 2016/17 when they failed to reach the knockout stage.
- VEF Riga are the second Latvian team to take part in the BCL after Ventspils that competed in the first three seasons while never reaching the Round of 16 of the competition.
- Mornar Bar have won only one of their seven away games in the BCL – four of their six defeats away from home were by an 18+ points margin.
- Mornar Bar have never scored 75+ points in a single away game in the BCL: they have scored an average of 62.6 points per game when playing away from home in the competition.
- VEF Riga’s Ron Curry has already appeared in 10 games in the BCL but never scored in double-digit: he has played an average of 19 minutes while scoring 5.1 points per game for Telekom Baskets Bonn in 2017/18.
View this post on Instagram
- Neptunas Klaipeda will play for the fourth season in the BCL while Happy Casa Brindisi will debut in the competition. Neptunas have always reached the Round of 16 but have never gone further that stage.
- Neptunas Klaipeda have won five of the six games they have played against Italian teams in the BCL – Happy Casa Brindisi will be the fourth Italian team that Neptunas will face in the competition after Varese (W2), Capo d’Orlando (W2) and Virtus Bologna (W1 L1).
- Neptunas Klaipeda have won their first home game of a BCL season in each of their previous three appearances in the competition, with two of those wins being by a margin of 15 or more points.
- Happy Casa Brindisi will be the seventh Italian team playing in the BCL – the Italian teams have won eight of the 11 games they have played in Gameday 1 in the BCL.
- Happy Casa Brindisi’s Kelvin Martin has made, at least, a steal or a block in each of his last 20 appearances in the BCL (MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg in 2016/17 and Segafredo Virtus Bologna in 2018/19) and last season, Kelvin Martin’s team outscored their opponents by an average of 9.1 points per game when he was on the court.
View this post on Instagram
- PAOK and Besiktas Sompo Sigorta are two of the nine teams that will take part in their fourth season in the BCL – however, they have never faced each other in the competition before.
- PAOK have never won their debut game in a BCL season, losing in each of the three previous occasions. However, this will be the first time that PAOK starts a BCL season playing at home.
- PAOK have lost 12 of the 15 games in which they have conceded 80 or more points in the BCL but won eight of their last nine games in which they have conceded fewer than 80 points in the competition.
- Besiktas Sompo Sigorta have won five of the six games they have played against Greek teams in the BCL, with four of those wins being by a double-digit margin.
- Besiktas Sompo Sigorta have conceded 75 or fewer points in each of their last five away games in the BCL, winning four of those encounters.
View this post on Instagram
- UNET Holon will play in the BCL for the third consecutive season while never making it past the Regular Season. Turk Telekom will debut in BCL – they are the sixth Turkish team taking part in the competition.
- This will be the seventh encounter between an Israeli and a Turkish team in the BCL history, with the later winning five of those six previous matchups.
- UNET Holon have won a total of 10 games in the BCL, with seven of those wins taking place on their home court. However, they have lost their last three games they have played at home in the competition.
- UNET Holon have lost nine of their last 10 games in which they have conceded 80 or more points in the BCL.
- Turk Telekom are the sixth Turkish team competing in the BCL: four of the five other Turkish sides have won their debut game in the BCL, with Muratbey Usak being the only exception (65-67 v Neptunas Klaipeda in 2016/17).
@BasketballCL is coming ! 🔥— SIG Strasbourg (@sigstrasbourg) October 13, 2019
🔜 Mardi 15 octobre à 20h 🆚 @FILOU_Oostende
R E A D Y ? 👀 @dnatweets @PokaaTeam @strasbourg @TwardePierniki @dinamo_sassari @BasquetManresa @TurkTelekom_SK @HapoelHolonBC @jdadijonbasket @EBPLO pic.twitter.com/QNRSIg7QkM
- IG Strasbourg and Filou Oostende are two of the nine teams that will take part in their fourth season in the BCL – they have faced each other four times before, with SIG Strasbourg winning three of those encounters.
- SIG Strasbourg have won only two of their last five home games (L3) in the BCL but have won 16 of their previous 19 home games in the competition (D1 L2).
- Only one head coach has won more home games than Vincent Collet (18) in the BCL - Walter De Raffaele, 21 home wins with Umana Reyer Venezia.
- Filou Oostende have won only one of their previous three BCL games in France and have never scored 75 or more points in any of those three games.
- Strasbourg’s Ali Traoré (64.5%) and newcomer Jerai Grant (61.3%) were two of the three players to make more than 60% of their field goals in the BCL 2018/19.
Noch fünf Tage bis zur @BasketballCL-Premiere im #rastadome! @Anwil_official bringt 200 Fans mit nach @VECST_DT 👏🏻 Sind @rastavechta-Fans trotzdem Herr im Haus? #rastavechta #vechta #alarmstufeorange #basketballcl https://t.co/hhSeQVLwVZ— RASTA Vechta (@rastavechta) October 10, 2019
- RASTA Vechta will make their debut in the BCL, becoming the seventh German team to take part in the competition. On the other side, Anwil Wlocklawek will play in the BCL for the second time after competing in 2018/19 – they haven’t made it past the Regular Season.
- This will be the 11th game between a German and a Polish team in the BCL, with the former winning seven of the previous matchups.
- Only two of the previous six German teams have won their debut game in the BCL: EWE Baskets Oldenburg v Ventspils in 2016/17 (77-76) and medi Bayreuth v Rosa Radom in 2017/18 (96-79). German teams have won only four of their 11 games in the first Gameday of a BCL season.
- Anwil Wloclawek have won only two away games in the BCL but one of those wins was in Germany when they visited MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg in 2018/19 (93-85 in October 2018).
- Anwil Wloclawek have lost their last six games in the BCL, with four of those defeats being by a double-digit margin - only in one of those six games have Anwil scored 80 or more points.
View this post on Instagram
- Iberostar Tenerife have taken part in all four BCL seasons, reaching the final twice: they lifted the trophy in 2016/17 and lost against Segafredo Virtus Bologna last season. Nizhny Novgorod will take part in their second season in the BCL, reaching the quarter finals in 2018/19.
- Iberostar Tenerife have only lost three of their last 27 games in the BCL regular season, but these three defeats have come on their home court.
- Iberostar Tenerife finished all the first three seasons of the BCL with the best defensive record. They conceded on average 64.9 points per game in 2016/17, 66.9 in 2017/18 and also 66.9 in 2018/19.
- Nizhny Novgorod have lost their last three games in the BCL but have never lost four in a row in the competition.
- Nizhny Novgorod conceded the least 3-pointers (5.7 per game) but the most free-throws (19.6 per game) in the BCL last season.